Monday, November 22, 2010

The Story Behind a Musical Pioneer

My hometown friend, Danny, has taken an exciting yet daring path to success.  He has been out of high school for four years now, has a license in plumbing, and is on a mission to become a world famous DJ.  Living in a house with his two friends in Lynn, MA, one who is becoming an increasingly more successful DJ as well, Danny works for a well-known Boston DJ company, Pure Energy, and is booked weekly to DJ various types of shows and events.  Now, it seems as though it's not a question of talent in the push to go forward in the music business, but the networking and keeping up with the times.

As I sit him down for this interview, he has a smile on his face.  He's very excited that I would choose him to interview about his career.

Q.  Well I'm interested in how yo got all this started.  I mean it's a very admirable path you've chosen.  It's brave.  What got you started?

A.  I'd have to say to say the fact that I didn't wanna be a plumber straight out of voc. school.  It started with some messin' around on my laptop with mixer programs and I got to thinkin' that I could really do this and be good at it.  My roommate, Angle, his uncle had already started up his DJ/MC company so we started just hangin' out with those kids.

Q.  Was it easy stuff to learn then?

A.  Yeah, it was pretty easy.  I mean it takes a feel for it.  Not everyone can just spin and be good.  You gotta know when and where to mix the tracks, what tracks to mix.  You gotta love it first then it comes cuz your hearts already there; you already got the feelin'.

Q.  So when did you play your first show?

A.  I played a lot of shows early, just because I always go with other DJ's in the company and watch 'em and mix some easier tracks.  I definitely learned quick; played my first real show with my boy Mike when I had just turned 19.  Even now that I'm good and know what I'm doin' I still don't play alone that often.

Q.  Why not?  Could you if you wanted to?

A.  Oh, sure I could.  For one, the company doesn't ever wanna throw just one DJ for a big party.  I mean, spinnin' tracks and keepin' it good for a five hour show ain't easy.  It takes a real pro to take the audience for the whole night all by himself, and I'm not quite there yet haha.

Q.  So what kinds of shows do you DJ?

A.  Well they're more events than shows.  Like, I haven't made it to bein' hired to spin at clubs yet.  That's my goal in this.  So now I'm mostly sent to do weddings and bat/bar mitzfas.  I've done some younger kids birthday parties, some prom and after prom parties, some house parties, some business events and even small bar events.  That's mainly what Pure Energy pays me for.

Q. And I know you DJ for fun.

A.  Ha, you know I do!  I spin at my house if we have a party, or sometimes me and Angel will just spin and mess around. That's another thing about it; if you don't love it you won't practice, and if you don't practice you'll never get better.  I practice all the time, everyday actually.  For hours too.

Q.  Yeah, you seem really into it.  What do you have for equipment?

A.  Me and Angel have over $3,000 of DJ equipment.  We have two mixing boards, our laptops, laptop stands, three turntables two massive stand-up speakers.  So much stuff.

Q.  And do you bring all of it when you do a show?

A.  No, we take our laptops and maybe a speaker, but our company has all the stuff we need plus way more.  We load it, set it up, and break it all down down for every event we do.  Sometimes it takes us days to set up and break down we got so much stuff.  But it's worth it cuz it sells our shows more.

Q.  Do you have props or anything like that?

A.  Yeah of course.  We set up floors and lights.  Lots of stuff like that.  We have costumes too that a lot of our dancers wear if they're doing an event with us.  The crowd always has fun with that stuff.  We always give out things at weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs like hats and wands.  The kids especially like it.

Q.  Cool.  And finally, how do you network yourself, or plan to network yourself?  It is hard?

A.  It's mad hard, and yes I've been doin' a lot of that and plan on doin' a lot more.  Facebook helps a lot.  I'll post my live-stream DJ site as my facebook status when I mix live.  That usually gets some fanfare but I never know who's watchin' unless they tell me.  I have business cards too that I give out at my shows when guests come up to say I did a great job.  But mostly, I rely on Pure Energy to network me.  It easier that way just because they're a legitimate DJ company that people will trust more.

Q.  Sounds like a lot of work, I'm sure you'll make it work.  So on a last note, I take it that your good at what you do.

A.  I'd say I'm pretty good, yeah.  I mean there's always room for improvement and that's what I'm lookin' to do.  Improvement is always what people look for, especially today in the music industry, no matter what part your involved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment