Monday, November 22, 2010

Reflection on Project 1

For Project 1, I feel that each of the three interviews gave me good experience in talking to people in different ways.  I learned a lot about the types of questions to ask, the effectiveness of rhetorical questions, and what types of answers are most effective to the reader.  I feel as though the first interview of emailing all of my questions at once and waiting for her response to each of them went well, but made me anxious.  I emailed the questions to a friend of mine who, I must say, isn't the most reliable and it left me sweating just wondering if she would write good answers and get them back to me on time.  However, this interview experiment ended up going well, as the number of questions was not large, and in my second interview, I realized that emailing all the questions at once was probably a much easier method. 

The second interview made me anxious as well, because I had to wait for the person's answer for one question at a time.  I think, however, that this interview was more effective because more of a conversation was developed out of it.  It allowed more of Ronnie's personality and perspective to come out of her answers because I hadn't already chosen the questions according to how I thought she would answer them.  In the first interview I chose questions that I felt might lead into one another, but even so, each of the question/answers seemed very detached.

In the third interview, I was able to actually interview someone in person and this made it more interesting and allowed all of Danny's personality to come out in his answers.  Being able to actually sit and have a conversation with him through questions and answers made it easier to write the final piece in my blog because I could hear his voice as I wrote the interview. I edited this one the least amount because I felt that his accent and essence would jump out at the reader if I didn't correct it.  I think that this lack of precise grammatical editing made my interview with Danny more effective than the first and second interviews and also a more interesting read.

Overall, I had a good time doing carrying out each of the interviews, and I think that doing them in this order made for a motivating stepping stone to keeping producing better questions with more effective answers.  In a real job, however, I would definitely choose the third interview as my interview format, especially now that I know what it takes to get a good interview out of someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment