Monday, November 22, 2010

Glee: Rocky Horror Style

To say the least, Twitter blew up less than 10 seconds after the show ended.  Each time I refreshed the Twitter page there were over 400 new Twitters, many of them on the topic of Glee's latest show based on preforming the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Some liked it, some hated it, and many of the Tweets got a chuckle out of me.  My favorite was one of the first Tweets posted, (which I agreed with, i think that's why I liked it so much).  The Tweet, posted by MeatStack, goes as followed:

"My wife is watching Glee; it's so bad I'd rather shoot myself with an elephant rifle."

Hahaha, is all I have to say to that.  Personally, I really didn't like this episode.  I thought it was boring, drawn out, and predictable.  Let's see what other's had to say.   Kellyboles posts on Twitter, "Unacceptable.  ROcky Horror is great.  Glee is so-so," while z1045Danielle says, "Glee I love you.  That was brilliant.  Brilliant I tell you.  I love you Rocky Horror Show.  Mwah!"

Tvquad.com takes similar opinions yet gives a more analytical overcap of the show.  It explained the episode as a "surprisingly entertaining and well-rounded episode, one of the best of the young season.  It had humor, plot, character development, and somehow managed to address the issue of how a public high school can even remotely get away with putting on such a production."

Clearly, this author enjoyed the show and showed an effective reason for why he did.  I think that, although I did not enjoy the episode, he made a solid point in saying how Glee fit a risque production into high school life.  This was clearly the objective of the episode, along with making the episode coincide with the spirit of Halloween.

On the other hand, Current-movie-reviews.com begged to differ and agreed to my opinions of this episode being utterly awful.  The blog criticized the show for making a cheesy version of Rocky Horror, explaining how the show's audience is young, just as the high school kids in Glee, and that the Rocky Horror Show may not be the best choice for eyes of that age.

"I do think that Touch-A, Touch-A Touch Me is a pretty inappropriate song, this is definitely one of them that needed to be edited out.  The whole scne was trashy and was never meant to be shown on TV to young people."

Over-all, I think that the reviews were positive, simply because Glee is such a popular and praised show.  It's viewers saved this episode's well-being by maintaining their positive fanaticism.  However I do believe that if Glee was not so popular, the reviews would have been much more criticizing, less summary-descriptive, and less loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment